Friday, January 30, 2015

Hide and Creep Review


9.5/10

"Hide and Creep" is a 2004 independent horror comedy, and it tells stories of zombies, aliens, and other horror related subjects.  The movie was praised by critics at its time, and was a hit at movie festivals.

The first scene was very clever, because it gave many references to classic films. It takes place in a video store, and the owner is on a phone call talking about zombie movies he has seen. I really liked this a lot, because it showed the filmmakers' true passion for the genre. In the next few minutes, the zombie attacks begin.  I really like the way that they were done, because the music and movements of it all was extremely satirical, and it was very enjoyable to watch.  The zombies are also pretty cool looking, because while they don't look like normal humans, they also weren't overdone at all.

This film is one of the best horror-comedies I've ever seen, because the humor is so diverse.  There are jokes for everyone, because there are inside jokes for horror fans, and other scenes that would make anyone laugh. This is perfect, because the movie is accessible for anyone, and it was absolutely genius.  The humor was actually very dry at times, and very reliant on sarcasm.  I enjoyed this a lot, being its my style. There were also moments that were just absolutely outrageous, and these were hysterical on all levels.  A lot of people call "Zombieland" the iconic horror-comedy, and while I find it to be great, this one is much much funnier. 

The gore in this film is to the max, and while its lighthearted, there is still a gruesome sense to it.  There is ripping of skulls, eating of body parts, graphic bloody shootings, etc. I really like this a lot, because the blood and guts were very well made, and I could still take it somewhat seriously. 

The cast was absolutely perfect, because they were hilarious, and they could keep a straight face throughout everything.  I imagine that this would be so hard to do, because some the lines are laugh out loud, but they stay completely stoic the whole time. My personal favorite actor of the film was Chuck Hartsell, whom played the role of Chuck. He had a fantastic way about him, and his subtle humor was perfect.  The other standout in my opinion was Kyle Holman in the role of Keith.  He did a great job in playing the tough, gung ho zombie killer, and he was surprisingly likable. Barry Austin was absolutely perfect in the role of Reverend Smith, because while you can tell that he wants to be good and honest in his profession in the church, it is quite obvious that he has an utter disgust for the people in the congregation, because of their rude and selfish ways. 

Another factor to the film that I really liked was the multiple stories that took place. Instead of boring us with one plot, we get an individual look at certain groups throughout the entire film. It was almost like the "Pulp Fiction" of horror.  This is a further reason for the film being one of the best horror flicks I have ever watched. 

If there was one weakness I could find in the film, it would be the ending.  Just minutes before, there was the true introduction of the UFO's in the movie, and I thought there would be a cool ending where they actually showed them. This never happened though, and I felt the ending came way too soon.  Whole the ending itself was good, I just wish there was some more that happened, because the movie was enjoyable enough to go on for two hours. 

I would like to do you all the favor of recommending that you watch this movie with all of my heart. It is hilarious, disgusting, and just about everything I could possibly want in this genre of film.  I promise you that it will be one of the greatest zombie movie experiences of your life.  The only one I would still put in front of it would be "Night of the Living Dead," but that is still saying a lot.  So please check this film out, because i guarantee that you won't be disappointed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment