Saturday, January 31, 2015

Zombieland Review


9/10 

In 2009, "Zombieland" took the world by surprise, and became known as one of the funniest horror films ever. I personally love this film, because of its extreme gore, clever dialogue, fantastic cast, and hilarious antics. It was another one of my first horror movies, and I have loved it for years. 

The beginning is one of my favorite scenes of the movie, and it shows the many rules of surviving a zombie apocalypse. My favorite one is when he says that you need to have good cardio, and then the fat guy gets eaten.  This makes me laugh every time I watch the movie, because it is so sudden and well timed. 

In the next few minutes, we meet two characters.  The first one is named Columbus, and he is played by Jessie Eisenberg.  He is shown as a smart man, but he is also pretty weak and scared of a lot of things.  The next character is named Tallahassee, and he is played by Woody Harrelson.  He is a very tough man, and is the polar opposite of Columbus. The relationship between the two is absolutely hilarious, because Tallahassee has an initial disgust for the soft personality of his counterpart. They slowly start to become friends though, and Columbus begins to really look up to Tallahassee.  On their journey for survival, they meet two girls named Wichita(Emma Stone) and Little Rock(Abigail Breslin).  Columbus immediately falls Wichita, but what he doesn't know is that her and her sister are both con artists.  After a trick that they pull on the boys, they steal all of their possessions and drive away.  Luckily, the girls change their mind and let the boys drive with them.  The addition of these characters was absolutely perfect, because they added so much sarcasm, and they were very interesting people. The relationship between Tallahassee and Wichita is absolutely priceless, because they butt heads constantly, and become each other's nemesis.  I feel that this is relevant because of the fact that they are so similar, that they can't get along at all. 

While the movie is a horror film in nature, it is also one of the most intentionally hilarious things I have ever seen. There are so many classic scenes of comedy, and they're outrageous in a way that I will never forget.  Tallahassee's whole side story with the Twinkies is awesome, because it is so random, yet it fits so well in the movie. The whole part in Bill Murray's mansion is perfect, because his presence just automatically makes in hilarious.  My favorite line from the movie came from his mouth, and it was when he said his only regret in life was "Garfield."  Being the movie is so funny, it is hard to take any dramatic moments seriously, which caused me to laugh at scenes that many people should be sad about.  This isn't bad at all, but it probably wasn't what was meant to be intended. 

The gore in this film was fantastic, because it was excessive and nasty.  Every kill was full of guts flying, and there were also many graphic scenes of cannibalism.  While the scenes aren't scary, they're still cool as can be, and they look fantastic.  Along with the gore, the zombie effects looked so realistic, and the actors themselves were convincing as they could possibly be.  I was so glad about how the effects and gore turned out, because it really reminded me of the classic movies that I love. They weren't ruined by stupid CGI, but it was an authentically bloody mess, and it made me proud. 

The film's soundtrack was one to praise, because of the awesome old music that was used. There was "Everybody Wants Some" by Van Halen, "For Whom the Bell Tolls" by Metallica, "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain" by Willie Nelson, and many others.  This added so much energy to the film, because the high octane rock music really pumps you up, and makes the film all the more cool. 

The only weakness I really saw was an awful mistake by the writers. There is a scene where Emma Stone says "in 1997, I saw my first R rated movie; Anaconda." Every time I hear this line, I want to throw something at the television, because "Anaconda" was rated PG-13, and it still is to this day. While this isn't a movie ruiner in any standard, it was a stupid mistake, and it ticks me off quite a bit. 

Overall I really love this movie. There is fantastic cast, gut busting humor, great gore, and an all around high quality film. I highly recommend it to any movie buff, because I think you will enjoy it immensely.  It is definitely one of the funniest movies in the horror-comedy genre, and one of the best zombie movies ever made. 

No comments:

Post a Comment