Sunday, November 16, 2014

Friday the 13th Part 6: Jason Lives


6/10

It's 1986....."Friday the 13th Part 5: a New Beginning" failed at the box office, and with critics, but Paramount still decided to fund another film.  This film became "Jason Lives."  This film is the third to follow the life of Tommy Jarvis, and his battle to end Jason forever.  The film completely failed at the box office, but it was the first film since the original to receive any positive reviews.  Honestly I like the movie for what it is, but I don't see it as anything special. It really didn't give me the same spark as others in the series, and it may be my least favorite of the Paramount films.  

The story starts off with showing Tommy Jarvis and his good friend escaping in a truck from the institution.  They are on a mission that Tommy leads to see if Jason is really dead.  They then find the truth of Jason, and the rest of the film just shows what this reality is.

Okay this film has good and bad news, but to start I'll do the good.  My first positive observation is the gore.  The killings are brutal, and bloodier than ever. I feel it was one of the goriest installments of the series.  The noises that went along with the gore were also very realistic and gruesome. 

Another great part is that some(and I mean some) of the jokes were good. The whole RV scene is hilarious gag, and it's one of my favorite humorous scenes from all of films. 

One of the problems of the film is the cast. I feel that there wasn't the same likable qualities as before. One of my biggest problems was the change of the casting Tommy.  Thom Matthews was okay as Tommy, but not nearly as good as the part could've been.  In Part 5, Tommy was shown as strong, and capable, but in this film, he was mainly just crazy and a little dumb. Also, the difference in actors is extremely apparent, because they look nothing alike. 

Another problem is the cheesiness of the film. I especially hate the paintball people in the woods, because the music behind them is so cheesy, and they tried too hard to be funny. It reminded me of something like "Every Which Way But Loose," but while it worked for the latter movie, it was really a bad thing for this one. 

Okay so Jason is back, but this time he is a zombie?  I mean this isn't a bad idea, because it really shows that all of the victims are super screwed.  I just feel that it was a little bit of a stretch also, because it took out any sense of reality in the film. Jason had been seen as someone that could've  been completely real, but now he just looks like something out of a George Romero film. 

As you can see, this film is nowhere near the top of my list. I might even call it my least favorite of the Paramount films.  It really took away from what I saw as good in the series, and while some things worked(the violence, etc), a lot of it really didn't.  I can't call it an awful film, because some stuff was pretty amazing, but if you are just spontaneously looking for a fantastic horror flick, choose a different one of the series. 

Do you all agree with this review? Feel free to voice you opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment