Sunday, February 22, 2015

Addams Family(The Musical)


9/10

Last night, I got to experience three hours of the funniest macabre I've ever seen.  "The Addams Family" is a new musical that has been released, and it recreates the classic 60's horror comedy for our time.  I have honestly never laughed harder in my entire life, because it was the highest quality musical ever. 

The first thing that I really liked about the show was the gags that took place. There were so many references to pop culture, and also many horror related subjects(hence why I put this review on my site).  There were times of physical humor also, and moments of innuendo laden hilariousness. I swear I left with all of my ribs broken from laughing so hard. 

The next thing that really made the show was the casting. Every single member really reincarnated the characters America grew to love almost perfectly.  Gomez was still suave, yet easily seducted, and Morticia was the perfect seductress.  Wednesday was still very dark, even though we saw her soft side because the love of her life. Pugsly was absolutely hilarious in his role, because he was so devious, only for what he thought was right. Out of everyone though, my favorite character was Uncle Fester.  He gave 90% of the musical's comic relief, and his loud, obnoxious, yet sweet personality was replicated perfectly.  Everyone really made me feel a lot of relief, because I got close to the same feeling that people in 60's must've felt when they saw the characters for the first time. 

The music in this show was absolutely exquisite. There were songs from every genre, because some really rocked, and some had the groove of a showtune.  They were honestly so much more amazing then I could've ever imagined, because I originally thought it would be the weakest link of the show. Along with just the shows themselves, every vocalist and member of the orchestra was so talented, and they blew my mind on many occasions. 

There were two complaints I had in the show. The first was that the "Addams Family Theme Song" was never sung. I felt this as a punch to the face, because the music started, and I was so ready to sing along, but it never happened. The second thing that bugged me was that Lurch never said "you rang." Being this may be the most notorious part of the whole TV show, I thought it would be in the musical for sure, but I was wrong, and that sucked big time. 

Overall, I enjoyed this show more than I can even express.  It made me so happy from start to finish, and there wasn't a moment I didn't like. If this musical comes to your town, then I highly recommend going to it, because it is an experience that can't be missed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment