Tuesday, February 3, 2015

My Opinion of the Best Possible Tone For a Horror Movie


Image: http://www.horroronscreen.com/2012/12/15/nothing-to-watch-tonight/


Over the course of film history, there have been many vibes captured in the horror genre. Some of them are really perfect, but some are not so much. I think that is one of the most important factors of making a success.  

The first detail in my opinion is a build up.  In all of my favorites, the film starts out very slow, and turns into an absolute disaster. The thing that is really amazing about this is is the way that it adds to the scariness greatly. The greatest examples of this in my opinion are "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" and "Alien."  Both of these films start out with dialogue and teasers for about forty minutes, but once they kick in, things get so intense that one's adrenaline really starts to kick in. Honestly this kind of a film is so much better than one that has killings the whole time, because the impact is so much more plentiful, and makes the movie something that one will never forget. 

The next thing that I feel is important for a horror movie's vibe is a sense of realism and claustrophobia.  This is extremely important, because it makes a person feel more involved in the story.  One of my biggest pet peeves with a film of this genre is when it is completely unrelatable. A horror movie is meant to be an investment of your emotions, because if it's not, then it's a waste of life to watch. I mentioned "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" before, and this is a perfect example.  The way the camera shoots the faces of people, and the angles of which they show the family grabbing Sally makes me feel like I'm the one being looked at, and the one that's being touched. Another great example of this is a film I previously reviewed called "Meadowoods."  The scene where Kayla is trapped in the box is extremely related to this, because the spacing is so tight that it makes it hard for myself to breath.  Another movie scene that uses this is the closet scene in "Halloween."  There is such a threatening feeling to the audience of this, because we know that Laurie has such a small area to hide in from such a smart man. 

The last thing I feel is important to have in the tone of a horror film is a balance between light and dark moods.  When a movie is depressing the whole time, it really doesn't make me scared, because there is nothing to look forward to.  The best is when a film can go from something really funny to something that is absolutely terrifying. To use films other than the ones mentioned before, I feel that "Friday the 13th Part 4: The Final Chapter" and "My Bloody Valentine" are great examples.  Both of these films have many gags that really work, and also a very funny cast.  In the midst of this, they also don't overdose on the humor, because there is enough of a mix that there is still plenty of room for jump moments.  When a film can do this proficiently, then it shows a lot of maturity in the writers and director. 

Overall, I think that while a horror movies main job is to be scary, there is also the factor in being enjoyable.  These details in the vibe that I mentioned are what will ensure the viewer's satisfaction.  What do you think is important in the tone?

3 comments:

  1. Really like the idea of it being claustrophobic; never though of it that way but it's a great word to describe how I personally feel when watching a horror film

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete