Sunday, February 15, 2015

The Impact I Had From Rewatching Some Movies Today....


I decided today that I had done enough new reviews yesterday, and that today would be a great day to rewatch some movies and write about the experience.  For my two picks, I did "The Hills Have Eyes," which was a film I originally disliked, and "My Bloody Valentine," which I had enjoyed from the first time.  Accomplishing this, I learned that it's extremely important to watch movies multiple times, because there are so many things that get noticed, and it helped me appreciate the films even more. 

The Hills Have Eyes: The first time I watched this movie, I saw it as dry, lifeless, and a lacking entry to my favorite genre.  I never understand why I hated the film, because so many people really expressed a love for it, and I was like an outlier.  While there were still many flaws that I noticed this time, the movie really struck an unexpected chord in my opinion.  I got a certain adrenaline rush unlike my first viewing, and I became very aware of how brutal and awesome the movie really was.  I also got a whole different appreciation for the mutants, because instead of finding them to be stupid in a bad way, I found their buffoonish qualities as a way to make them even creepier.  The main thing that I noticed in this sitting was that this movie is a complete rip off of "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre."  While this isn't a bad thing, it really does set a high standard for the quality it needed to be. While it didn't reach this level in any sort, it was still a great movie, and I actually changed its grade from 4.5 to 7. 

My Bloody Valentine: There wasn't much of a hesitation about watching this movie today, because I had really liked it the first time.  I'm so glad I revisited it to be honest, because it is such a fun and brutal movie. One of the things I loved ever since my first viewing was the balance between really light hearted scenes and absolutely disturbing parts. It really showed maturity in the filmmaking, because every scene is enjoyable, whether there is a killing or not.  During this second watching, I really began to notice the true extent of how brutal the movie is. There is so much gore in the extended cut, and I feel that it broke even more boundaries than "Friday the 13th" at its time. The other thing that was really cool was the sounds that are made during the murders.  It really adds to the shock effect, because it makes things much more realistic.  Unlike "The Hills Have Eyes," I am not going to change the grade at all, but I am so happy I watched this movie again, because it was a refreshing piece in the slasher genre that was possibly even more enjoyable the second time. 

Overall, I had a great time watching these movies over. It is a great experience, because I got to find a lot of hidden virtues in both films that I did notice the first time.  I also know that I changed my opinion on "The Hills Have Eyes" a lot, and I am not ashamed of this at all.  I am actually extremely happy that I like the movie now, because it is a great one to talk to people about.  If you haven't watched these films, then I highly recommend them both, because they're great additions to the greatest genre ever, and I think that you will enjoy them a lot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment